gas safety certificate

What is the gas safety Certificate? How to get a CP12 Certificate?

A gas safety log is the documentation that a gas engineer can provide after performing gas work on your property. The documentation provided will often depend on the type of work they are doing, be it a service or a security check.

While all gas engineers are required by law to be listed on the Safe Gas Registry, it is not legal to provide Gas Safety Certificate documentation after their visit. There is one exception, and that is if you own it.

What is the gas safety Record? 

As a landlord renting residential property, you have a legal obligation to ensure your tenants’ safety. This means that you are required by law to have a Gas Safe authorized engineer perform an annual gas safety check on all gas appliances. It is the results of those checks that are recorded in your safety log. You will receive a copy and must provide a record of this check to your tenants.

A description and location of each appliance or flue that has been checked

The name, registration number and signature of the engineer who performed the checks.

The date on which the controls were performed.

The address of the property where the appliances or fireplaces are installed

Your name and address (or that of an agent if applicable)

Information on security flaws and the measures necessary or taken to correct them.

The results of all functional safety checks carried out on the devices.

The gas line on your rental property must also be kept in good repair. Installation piping is not covered by the annual gas safety check, but we and the HSE recommend that when requesting a safety check,

you ask your Gas Safe, licensed engineer to:

Leak testing the entire gas system, including the installation piping

Visually examine the pipe (if possible)

Do I need a gas safety certificate?

If you rent a property, you are legally required to have an appropriately qualified and registered engineer perform a gas safety check.

The engineer will record the verification’s details on a landlord’s gas safety record form (also known as a CP12 certificate in the trade) with copies for you and your tenants.

Even if your tenants don’t use gas, it will need to be serviced if your property has direct power.

When should you organize a gas safety check?

You will need to have your rental property’s gas installations checked every year. This must be between the 10th and 12th month after the previous year’s verification.

Suppose the verification occurs before or after this 10-12 month window. In that case, your next confirmation should always take place 12 months after the current one.

What documents should I receive after a gas safety check?

Your gas engineer will give you a copy of your gas safety record form, which will include the results of the tests you performed on the gas appliances you own.

You should also give a copy to your tenants. For new tenants, they must receive it before moving in. In contrast, existing tenants must receive a copy within 28 days of verification.

Gas safety checks 

To ensure your tenants’ safety, all gas appliances and flue pipes must undergo an annual gas safety check, and always by an authorized Gas Safe engineer. Once this is done, you will receive an owner’s safety record or gas safety certificate with details of any verification that has been performed.

If it’s been less than ten or more than 12 months after the previous check, you will end up with a new expiration date: 12 months from the last review. Devices that belong to your tenants are not your responsibility, although it is still your responsibility to ensure the connecting conduits’ safety unless they are only connected to the tenant’s device.


You will need to ensure that all gas lines, appliances, fireplaces, and flue pipes are kept in good condition. Consult the gas appliance manufacturer’s instructions for how often service is recommended. Suppose you do not have access to it. In that case, we recommend an annual service, unless your certified gas safety engineer suggests otherwise.

There is no formal obligation to keep maintenance records. However, you will need to be able to demonstrate that you have regularly maintained pipes, appliances, and flue pipes and have made any necessary repairs.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Scroll to Top